“What does the data say?“: Earning trust as a data professional
TBK: Episode 31
This episode features an interview with Anita Gandhi, Vice President of Analytics at SmileDirectClub, leaders in oral care and creators of the first telehealth platform for orthodontia. Anita has been with SmileDirectClub since 2019. Prior to SDC, she served as Head of Analytics at FreshDirect. On this episode, Anita talks about how she would rework the data structure at SmileDirect Club if she could start fresh, enabling data self-service among the SDC analysts, and how she helps strengthen her analytics team.
”My number one thing about building trust in the data is admitting when it’s wrong. I have seen people go down in flames[… ]by defending the data till the end and then it turning out to be wrong. Data is imperfect. It is built by human beings, and there are lots of reasons why it can go wrong. And when there’s a question about the data, if you approach it as, ‘Well, it’s possible. Let’s look into it,’ and when there is a problem, being very communicative and accepting that there was something wrong with the data, then people start to trust you when you say, ‘This data is right.’”
”Anyone on the analytics team who got a request from the CEO would drop everything that they’re doing and work on that. And we had a lot of trouble finishing projects. So it’s been building the confidence in the team, and the leaders on my team to ask that question when something comes in from leadership, ‘Hey, we wanna know this,’ or ‘Hey, we wanna do this,’ and say, ‘We can do it right now. Is it more important than finishing this project? Or is it something that can wait for a couple of days for us to get to it?’ And I think really debunking the idea that everything is urgent and putting a pin in false urgency is what really helps you make that happen.”
[2:20] What was Anita’s path to VP of Analytics at SmileDirectClub?
[5:05] How is SmileDirectClub data-driven?
[7:12] How does Anita build trust in the data?
[11:15] What kind of challenges is Anita navigating as VP of Analytics at SDC?
[13:54] How is Anita powering smart decisions at SDC through data analytics?
[17:29] How does the analytics team navigate prioritizing data projects, especially with requests from leadership?
[19:04] What are the issues with catering to self-service among a data team?
[26:29] Why is it important to let the people on your team fail?
[29:02] How does Anita stay on top of new information in the data field?
[30:15] What advice would Anita give someone going into her role for the first time?
Connect with Anita on LinkedIn | Check out SmileDirectClub
Connect with Faisal on LinkedIn
← Previous episode | Next episode →
- S3E3: Building a data-driven future through trust
- S3E2: Using data to build higher value business relationships
- Bonus Episode: Welcome our new host, Faisal Khan
- S3 Trailer: Preview Truth Be Known’s new season
- Avoid the data swamp: How to use Talend’s best practice architecture for Snowflake to enhance data health
- Take care of your data
- CEO keynote: Fortune favors the prepared
- Use data as the ultimate competitive edge
- The role of data in future enterprise resilience
- Transforming data chaos into data excellence
- Make the uncertain certain using data
- How to get the full value from your data
- Fix the broken promise of Customer 360 initiatives
- 2022 Talend Data Health Barometer
- 3 steps to establishing data excellence
- S2E8: How to practice responsible AI
- S1E8: Predictions for a hopefully better new year
- S1E9: The importance of partnering together
- S1E10: We all come from data
- S1E11: Empathy and data go hand in hand
- S1E12: Translating data to everyday language
- S1E13: Creating a culture of excellence
- S1E15: Taking charge of your health through data
- S1E16: Making decisions for the long run
- S1E17: Data & the future of in-flight experiences
- S1E18: Tactical decision making
- S1E19: Talent, buyers & product: a joint data view
- S1E20: The ethics of being data-driven
- S1E21: Defending your customer’s data
- S1E22: Finding patterns for success
- S2 Trailer: Preview Truth Be Known’s new season
- Bonus Episode: Introducing our new host Rob Norman
- S2E1: Following your local happiness gradient
- S2E2: Telling a story through data
- S2E3: Powering up women in tech
- S2E4: The future of data
- S2E5: Improving risk management and resiliency
- S2E6: Turning data into dollars
- S2E7: Being a steward of data and insights
- S1E14: How COVID recast healthcare tech’s future
- S1E7: The changing landscape of data technology
- S1E6: How technology plays into our “new normal”
- S1E5: A game changer for standard of care
- S1E4: The importance of data
- S1E3: Knowing when it's time to make a change
- S1E2: Helping IT take flight
- S1E1: Getting data to business’ front lines
- Culture is king: How to make healthy data habits stick
- When business gets weird, the tough get healthy data
- Your customer data is a mess — here's how to fix it
- What is unhealthy data costing you?
- The Struggle Is Real: Accelerating time to marketing and sales data insights
- Getting more value from customer 360
- Data Trust Readiness Report
- Customer 360: Get the data health you and your customers deserve
- Data Technology in the Mining Sector
- 4 ways to create unforgettable customer experiences
- 4 Data-driven strategies for a resilient business
- A guide to product intelligence
- Digital transformation and data management for the Oil & Gas industry
- Solve the data problems that kill C360 initiatives
- Maximizing data utility by ensuring trust in the data
- How to beat bad data and achieve total customer experience - APAC
- Real-time risk management for financial institutions - ASEAN
- Talend Trust Assessor
- Turning data into gains and growth
- Where data strategies go wrong