Talend, the global big data integration software leader, today announced that it has recorded tremendous growth and momentum in 2013. The company saw a surge in product innovation, received new investment, strengthened its leadership team, and broadened its strategic partnerships to further its position as a leader and visionary in the integration market.
“We have an extraordinary opportunity in front of us. Thanks to major investments, Talend’s native support for Hadoop and other modern big data platforms takes the complexity out of integration and enables IT to be more responsive to the demands of data-driven businesses,” said Mike Tuchen, CEO of Talend. “2014 will be an exciting year for Talend as we continue to work with our partners in the big data ecosystem to reinvent the world’s data infrastructure, providing a disruptive solution that enables customers to get instant value from all their data.”
Exploding Market Penetration & Growth
In the fourth quarter of 2013, Talend’s subscription bookings grew by 81% compared to the same period last year, due to rising global demand for enterprise-ready big data integration solutions. The company signed several large contracts for its big data solutions in recent months, including two of the largest retailers and one of the largest financial services organizations in the world, and successfully upgraded many existing clients to its big data platform. With a 108% compounded annual revenue growth rate for the last six years, Talend is confirming the combined strength of its offerings to the market, its technology and its ecosystem.
New Funding, Executive Appointments
In December, Talend closed $40 million in funding in a round led by Bpifrance and Iris Capital. This new capital will be used to fuel expansion, accelerate product innovation, and support go-to-market efforts in the big data space. Talend also announced new appointments to its executive team to lead it through the next expansion phase – most recently appointing software industry veteran Mike Tuchen as CEO. In April, Mike Sheridan, a seasoned sales and marketing executive, joined the company as Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. And, in September, Francois Chiche joined as Senior Vice President of Channels and Alliances, responsible for global management and expansion of Talend’s network of systems integrator and consulting partners, expanding Talend’s presence internationally via resellers, further developing Talend’s OEM channel, and managing strategic technology alliances.
Big Data Innovation
At the forefront of a big data paradigm shift, and in its mission to make big data become a reality for all organizations, Talend continued to disrupt the market and invest heavily in building its next-generation big data integration platform. Two new versions of the Talend platform were brought to market: Talend v5.3 in May and Talend v5.4 in October. Major advances of these versions include:
- Broadest platform and source support: In 2013, Talend added support for more NoSQL databases by delivering a set of connectors for Couchbase, CouchDB, Neo4j and Riak, complementing its existing support for MongoDB, HBase and Cassandra. It also provided new or updated certification for Hadoop distributions from Hortonworks, Cloudera, MapR, Pivotal, Amazon and IBM.
- Hadoop as the engine: The pioneer in MapReduce native code generation, Talend added in 2013 the native use of YARN as the data integration engine, allowing customers to immediately benefit from the superior resource management that YARN offers. Unlike third party engines that sit on top of Hadoop, Talend users directly benefit from the massive scalability and elasticity built into the Hadoop platform with zero overhead in scheduling, job management or platform deployment and maintenance.
- Native data quality on Hadoop: Building on its commitment to data quality as being critical to data integration, Talend supports big data quality generated as MapReduce jobs, making it possible for computationally intensive data quality tasks to be performed at an infinite scale.
Commitment to the Big Data Ecosystem
In addition to supporting the latest platforms from partners such as Hortonworks, Cloudera and MapR, Talend extended its reach with new or extended support of key technologies such SAP HANA, HP Vertica, Pivotal HD or IBM PureData System for Hadoop.
In addition, Talend joined the Google Cloud Platform Partner Program as a Technology Partner. By leveraging Talend Open Studio for Big Data, organizations will be able to seamlessly combine the power of Talend with Google BigQuery’s real-time big data analytics, bringing the power of big data to all businesses via the cloud.
Industry Awards & Recognition
Industry analysts and the media credited Talend in 2013 as a technology visionary with tremendous promise for continued success and innovation, underscoring Talend’s leadership position in the integration market:
- Recognized by Gartner, Inc. in four Magic Quadrants – the “Magic Quadrant for Data Integration Tools” report, the “Magic Quadrant for Data Quality Tools” report, the “Magic Quadrant for Master Data Management of Customer Data Solutions” report, and the “Magic Quadrant for On-Premises Application Integration Suites” report.
- Recognized by IDG's prestigious InfoWorld 2013 Bossie Awards as providing one of “the best open source big data tools”.
- Named to UBM Tech Channel’s inaugural CRN 2013 Big Data 100 list.