The purpose of data synchronization is to maintain the consistency of data contained in several applications, databases or systems. Many cases exist where data is managed separately by multiple applications or databases, yet needs to be kept consistent between these systems. The need for data synchronization can either be permanent (data synchronization between operational systems) or temporary (for example data synchronization during a migration). Data synchronization can be either uni-directional or bi-directional.
Obstacles: Maintaining Data Consistency
There are numerous challenges to implementing efficient and reliable data synchronization processes.
- Data synchronization often involves low latency processes and you want the synchronization to be as short and in real-time as possible. It is thus critical to restrict the volumes of data processed to reduce the processing time.
- Environments involved are heterogeneous and often combine legacy systems, packaged applications, RDBMS, mainframes, files, etc. Data structures vary widely in all the systems that need to be synchronized. These differences require complex mappings between sources and targets, as well as aggregations, calculations, etc.
- When conflicts of data occur, they must be managed and resolved taking into account record update precedence or “record owner”.
Solution: Talend for Data Synchronization
Talend's data management solutions are optimized for enterprise-grade data synchronization. The following features are especially critical to the design, development, execution and maintenance of data synchronization processes:
- A highly scalable and fast execution platform with a grid approach that enables the processing of data close to its source and target, using both the ETL and ELT approaches for shorter downtimes.
- Broadest connectivity to support over 450 source and target systems.
- Fully graphical development environment that improves productivity, makes it easy to perform dry-runs, and allows reusability of data mappings and transformations for synchronization processes (if applicable).
- Enterprise service bus (ESB) functionality provides real-time, guaranteed message delivery and routing rules to synchronize data between multiple systems.
Talend Data Integration
Talend provides an extensible and highly-scalable set of data integration tools to access, transform and migrate data from any business system. With support for over 450 types of data sources, Talend simplifies your data synchronization needs.
Talend Enterprise Service Bus
Talend’s reliable and scalable enterprise service bus (ESB) products simplify the connection, mediation and management of services and data sources so more time is spent making decisions instead of integrating systems.
Unlike other solutions where you need to integrate products to make a solution, Talend’s products improve your productivity through a unified platform - a common code repository and tooling for scheduling, metadata management, data processing and service enablement.
Talend Data Services
Talend Data Services is a comprehensive unified data, application and service integration solution that lessens the impact of changing data structures while making the management of data across domains easier.