OrderDynamics is a leading cloud software and big data company with more than 80 clients in 33 countries. The company uses Talend Data Integration to help translate big data from the world’s leading retailers into real-time insight that empowers more agile and intelligent commerce experiences. The company’s customers include such big names as Neiman Marcus, Brooks Brothers, Speedo, Laura Canada, T.M. Lewin and Asda Direct.
“Because Talend allows us to reuse code and standardize our integration jobs, we can scale faster to serve more customers.”
“Some of our processes used to take hours. With Talend, we can measure them in seconds.”
“Talend’s per-developer pricing is much more predictable than what the competition offers.”
Brian Tomz, VP Product & Strategy, Order Dynamics
The business challenge
Transforming massive volumes of customer retail data demands serious power and scalability.
OrderDynamics collects a terabyte of data from its customers every day—detailing everything from inventory metrics and product returns to bounce rates and marketing costs. The company’s systems then automatically and intelligently analyze this information and present its retail client’s with suggestions to boost profitability. For example, the Dynamic Action solution might suggest price adjustments, inventory re-orders, marketing spend adjustments, product exposure changes, content alterations, customers to contact or operational changes. And this process has to happen fast, so customers have an immediate opportunity to increase profit, revenue and improve overall customer experience.
But there’s a hitch. Retail clients don’t submit all of their valuable data in a single, standardized format—nor do they all use a single set of attributes. OrderDynamics is tasked, then, with transforming these disparate data streams into uniquely refined, usable structures that can be loaded into its decision intelligence application.
In 2012, OrderDynamics determined it could no longer tackle this challenge effectively with the ETL tools it had on hand. The company needed more power and flexibility, along with the scalability to accommodate an ever-increasing volume of data.
Talend: The right solution
Talend Data Integration on Amazon Web Services
After a thorough investigation into potential solutions, OrderDynamics selected Talend Data Integration over competing solutions including Pentaho and Informatica. Here’s why Talend stood out from the crowd:
- Power. Talend is designed with broad connectivity, so it can easily and rapidly transform all of the data formats typically received in a customer data dump—including flat files, xml files, and API connections.
- Scalability. Talend’s configuration on AWS enabled OrderDynamics to meet scalability demands simply by increasing or decreasing nodes as needed. Furthermore, because Talend enabled them to share routines and portions of jobs across projects, they could scale faster to serve more customers.
- Flexibility. Talend provided OrderDynamics with the flexibility to write its own Java on top of out-of-the-box processes, so developers could still quickly customize transformations to suit specific customer attributes. Because the end output was Java, developers could also analyze and debug code accordingly and roll it out independently.
- Ease. Talend’s drag-and-drop development tools, intuitive user interface, and ease of use ensured a fast learning curve, so the company could start work right away and quickly scale up the number of developers working on the project as needed.
Since implementing Talend Data Integration, OrderDynamics has seen a marked improvement in its ability to quickly transform complex customer data—and the business at large has benefited as well. Advantages include:
- Increased productivity. Talend’s native support for numerous data formats, combined with its flexible accommodation of additional Java code, means developers have more time to focus on customizations that drive value for OrderDynamics customers.
- Greater customer satisfaction. Now backed by technology that ensures faster, easier transformation of customer data, OrderDynamics is more capable than ever of powering intelligent commerce and meeting its customers’ needs.
- Business growth. Because it can successfully handle the influx of new data without compromising its ability to deliver high-quality analytics and business intelligence, the company can continue to grow its customer base.
- Cost savings. Because licensing is invoiced on a per-developer basis—rather than by nodes used—Talend’s solution provides the kind of pricing predictability that big data analysis demands. As a result, OrderDynamics can more cost-effectively manage customers’ changing needs.