ETL Testing: Essential to Effective Data Warehousing
Building a data warehouse is a major undertaking that's expected to yield substantial business benefits in order to justify the cost and effort. To ensure that your ETL data warehouse project lives up to expectations, ETL testing must be front and center, particularly in the all-important early stages of the project.
ETL testing seeks to ensure that transfer of data from heterogeneous sources to the central warehouse occurs without data loss, with strict adherence to transformation rules, and in compliance with all validity checks. Effective ETL testing should detect early on any problems with the source data as well as any inconsistencies or ambiguities in the business rules that are intended to guide data transformation and integration. ETL testing should continue as production gets underway, to ensure that the extraction, transformation, and loading processes are going as planned and that the result is warehoused data that's consistent, accurate, and complete.
ETL Testing in Talend Open Studio for Data Integration
Talend Open Studio for Data Integration is the leading open source ETL tool, with millions of downloads since the first open source version of the tool debuted in 2006. Available to download and use for free under an Apache license, Talend Open Studio for Data Integration makes ETL testing easier and more effective, with features such as:
- A unified graphical interface, based on Eclipse, which simplifies the design, modeling, and developing of ETL processes.
- Automatic code generation in Java speeds development while also reducing errors.
- More than 900 components and built-in data connectors make it easy to assess data stored in nearly any type of database, file format, packaged application, or legacy system.
- Context management facilities that enable context switching between user-defined settings for ETL development, ETL testing, and ETL production environments.
- Sophisticated debugging tools that let you track data flows in real-time, in combination with execution statistics and an optional trace mode that reports on row-by-row behavior.
ETL Testing In Talend Data Integration
The subscription-based Talend Data Integration includes all the ETL testing functionality of Talend Open Studio for Data Integration as well as additional enterprise class functionality such as collaboration and continuous delivery mechanisms to facilitate teamwork among business users, developers, and testers; enterprise deployment capabilities, a remote job execution feature that lets you run ETL testing jobs on remote servers with varied operating systems and in varied configurations; and a project audit tool that provides qualitative and quantitative metrics calculated against ETL best practices.
With Talend Data Integration you also get technical support from Talend engineers who are expert in the real-world applications of data warehouse tools. The Talend Data Integration's subscription rate is far lower and more predictable than the cost of purchasing and using proprietary ETL tools.
For organizations considering a master data management initiative, Talend also offers an integrated MDM solution with enterprise class data governance support.
Learn more about Talend’s data integration solutions from the many resources on this web site, or download Talend Open Studio for Data Integration today and start benefiting from the leading open source data integration tool.
Most Downloaded Resources
Browse our most popular resources - You can never just have one.