Talend Group Privacy Notice
UPDATED: AUGUST, 2020
The Talend group of companies (“we”, “our” or “Talend”)¹ respect your right to privacy. This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, store, process, share, and use personal information relating to you, and how you can exercise your privacy rights. This Privacy Notice does not apply to personal data Talend processes in the role of a processor or service provider on behalf of our customers.
In this Privacy Notice, personal information means any information that relates to an individual who can be identified directly, or indirectly in combination with other data. This Privacy Notice applies to the personal data we collect and process about:
- Individuals who use our products and services (for example, as an employee of one of our customers);
- Individuals who are our business contacts or otherwise receive communications from us (including electronic communications, phone calls, or texts);
- Individuals who express an interest in our products or services, attend or express an interest in events or webinars hosted, sponsored, or attended by Talend, participate in Talend hosted forum, communities, or open source development related to Talend products and services;
- Individuals who visit our websites, our premises, facilities or offices; and
- Individual who are our contacts at our service providers; our business partners with whom we collaborate; and other third-parties with whom we interact in the ordinary course of business.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to the personal information collected and processed by Talend about its employees, which is governed by a separate privacy notice. It also does not apply to personal information collected and processed by Talend for recruitment purposes, or about applicants to our job offers, which is covered by our Talend Recruitment Privacy Notice.
What personal information does Talend collect and why
Information that you provide voluntarily
You voluntarily submit information directly to us when you use our products or services. This can include information you provide to us when you register for an account, fill in a form on our Website, create or edit your user profile, correspond with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise, subscribe to our mailing lists, newsletters or other forms of marketing communications, respond to a survey, enter a promotion or use some other feature of our products or services. If you choose not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services, or respond to your requests.
We have described in the below table the types of information we ask you to provide, and the reasons why we ask you to provide it. If we ask you to provide any other personal information not described in the table below, then the personal information we will ask you to provide, and the reasons why we ask you to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we collect your personal information.
Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we may receive some of the personal information listed in this notice from third party sources, including from your employer or the company you are affiliated with, third party suppliers from which we purchase personal information, and partners, including partners of our Technology Alliance Program, Value Added Resellers, and co-organizers and sponsors to Talend events and webinars.
We may combine the information we received from third-party sources with personal information provided by you, or that we automatically collect about you (see table below). This helps us update, expand, and analyze our records, identify new customers, and create more tailored advertising about the products and services that may be of interest to you. If you believe that your personal information has been provided to us by a third party improperly, or want to exercise your rights relating to your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may also collect some of the personal information listed in this notice through social media platforms, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter. This personal information is the information that you choose to make publicly available on these platforms, and may include your name, email address, and other biographical information such as job title , company name, area of expertise and professional interests.
Talend may also acquire your personal information in the course of mergers and acquisitions of another company or business.
Information that we collect automatically
Who does Talend share my personal information with?
Talend may share your personal information with the following categories of recipients:
- Group Companies Talend shares information with entities within the Talend group. A list of our current group companies is available in Exhibit 21.1 of our 10-K filed with the SEC here.
- Partners and Agents
- Third-Party Service Providers: we may share your information with our contracted service providers, who provide services such as IT and system administration and hosting, research and analytics, marketing, customer support and data enrichment for the purposes and pursuant to the legal basis described in this notice;
- Professional Advisers: in individual instances, we may share your personal information with professional advisers acting as service providers, processors, or controllers – including our lawyers, bankers, auditors, and insurers;
- Events and Webinars Sponsors: if you attend an event or webinar organized or co-organized by us, or download or access an asset on our Website, we may share your personal information with sponsors of the event or webinar. If required by applicable law, you may consent to such sharing via the registration form or by allowing your attendee badge to be scanned. In these circumstances, the sponsors will also be a controller of your information, which will be subject to the sponsors’ privacy statements;
- Partners from Talend Technology Alliance Program and Value Added Resellers: if you choose to interact with or use our partners or value added resellers tools, services or technology, we may share your personal information with our them, and they may contact you regarding their products or services;
- Customers with whom you are affiliated: if you use our products or services as an authorized user of one of our customers, we may share your personal information with your affiliated customer responsible for your access to the products or services, to the extent necessary for providing our services.
- Legal Requirements and Investigations Talend will disclose your personal information to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, including to comply with legal obligations such as subpoenas, court orders or search warrants, and as otherwise authorized by law, (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- Sale of Assets Talend may transfer personal information to a potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice.
Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information collected and the specific context in which we collect it.
We will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
Mostly, however, we process your personal information for our legitimate business interests as described in the Section What personal information does Talend collect and why?. If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on any legal basis other than our legitimate interests, we will make it clear to you at the relevant time. For example, if we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Our products and services are not directed at persons under 16 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you become aware that your child has provided us with personal information, without your consent, then please contact us using the details below so that we can take steps to remove such information and terminate any account your child has created with us.
Automated Decision Making and Profiling
If you have been a visitor to our websites, we use an automated tool at the early stage of our communication process to qualify your request. This tool appears as a communication box on Talend websites, which you can use to ask any questions or requests you may have about Talend products or services. The purpose of this tool is to identify the most appropriate person at Talend to respond to your specific questions or requests. This tool would not have any legal or other significant effect, and you can always obtain to interact directly with one of our representatives.
How does Talend keep my personal information secure?
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. We use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the security of the personal information that we collect and process about you from unauthorized disclosure. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
Please consult our Security webpage for more information about Talend security practices.
International data transfers
Talend may share your personal information within the Talend group of companies for a variety of purposes, for example to provide you with the latest information about our products and services. To facilitate our global operations, your personal information may be transferred to, stored, and/or processed in countries other than the country in which you are resident, and that may be outside of the European Economic Area. A list of the countries where our current group companies are incorporated is available in Exhibit 21.1 of our 10-K filed with the SEC here.
Specifically, our servers are located in the US and in Germany, and our group companies, third party service providers and partners operate in countries worldwide. This means that when we collect your personal information, we may process it in any of these countries.
To protect your personal information, we will generally transfer data to countries subject to an adequacy decision by the European Commission. In those situations where your personal information is transferred to countries not subject to an adequacy decision by the European Commission, we have taken appropriate safeguards to ensure that your personal information remains protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We retain personal information we collect from you for a period of time consistent with the original purpose of collection. For example, if we collect your personal information for our legitimate business interest, we will retain your personal information for only as long as there is an ongoing legitimate business need to do so, (e.g., to receive services from you (or your employer), to provide services to our customers, or to collaborate with our partners).
When the original purpose no longer exists, and the applicable retention periods have expired, we will either delete or anonymize your personal information or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Your data protection rights
In accordance with the European privacy laws, EEA and Swiss data subjects have the following data protection rights². If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal data, you can do so at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by visiting your Communication Preference Center to manage your preferences regarding communications you receive from Talend.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority (contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
CCPA Compliance at Talend
As a California business, Talend complies with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) with respect to the personal information listed in this Privacy Notice and relating to California consumers.
As explained in the preamble, Talend only collects and processes personal information in the context of the business relationship between Talend and the organization or business to which you are affiliated or employed, usually because Talend provides or receives a product or service to or from such organization or business. This means that certain CCPA consumer rights may not be available with respect to the personal information collected by Talend.
Nonetheless, Talend does not sell personal information and does not discriminate against any California consumer for exercising their rights under the CCPA.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice.